Essential oils have gained tremendous importance in the skincare routine. Traditionally, essential oils were used for their surplus healing power and medicinal properties. Moreover, they are one of the most natural and effective ways to achieve healthy and glowing skin.
If you are wondering which oil to use and how?
Here is the answer to all your queries:
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are concentrated liquid extracts of plants. They can be extracted from roots, stems, leaves, or flowers of source plants. Furthermore, essential oils carry the beneficial essence of the source plant. They possess a high level of active plant ingredients, which can be toxic under certain conditions. Therefore, there are certain precautions you must follow while using them.
Also read- How to use Lemon in your beauty routine?
Common precautions to take while using essential oils
- There is a risk of allergic reaction, go for a patch test beforehand.
- There are certain essential oils that can be harmful when swallowed or absorbed directly by skin.
- Always (ALWAYS) dilute it with oils such as olive oil or almond oil while applying topically.
- Keep it away from pregnant women, children, and pets.
- Essential oils derived from citrus fruits such as lemon and orange are photosensitive. They may cause sunburn, thus never go out after applying these essential oils on the skin.
How to use essential oils
There are numerous ways to reap the benefits of these elixirs-
- Mix one or two drops of oil with carrier oil such as olive oil or almond oil and gently massage your face.
- You can mix a drop or two in your face pack.
- Bath in essential oil to target hard to reach areas such as back. Simply add 10-15 drops of oil to a bucket full of water.
Best essential oils for skin
There are a wide variety of essential oils available, each with unique healing properties. They have the power to regenerate damaged skin cells, thus promoting healthy skin.
1. Tea tree oil
It is derived from the melaleuca alternifolia plant. It has outstanding antiseptic properties, thus making it an effective remedy to treat inflammation and bacterial infection. It’s a great solution for acne-prone skin.
Taking tea tree oil baths can greatly reduce body odor due to precipitation.
2. Rose oil
Rose essential oil is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, thus possessing anti-aging properties. It helps to keep your skin hydrated by maintaining the moisture level. It has a sweet floral fragrance that lingers on for a very long time. Besides, its scent is known to reduce anxiety and stress.
3. Lavender oil
It has anti-inflammatory properties as a result it soothes irritation and redness. It is a natural hydrator as well and is known to repair dry skin. Its subtle floral fragrance aids relaxation and promotes sleep. Besides, its high antioxidant content helps fight early signs of aging.
4. Sandalwood oil
As the name suggests this oil is derived from sandalwood, which is one of the most valuable trees in the world. The Ayurveda explicitly describes numerous medicinal properties of sandalwood oil. It promotes healthy and smooth skin, moreover, its rich aroma enhances mood.
5. Argan oil
It is derived from the fruit of the argan tree. Its high antioxidant and vitamin content make it a perfect remedy for almost all skin issues. It makes your skin smooth and plump. Furthermore, it is also helpful in treating acne and several other skin infections.
6. Rosemary oil
The antiseptic and antioxidant power of rosemary oil makes it a must-have skincare product. It is also known to stimulate hair growth, strengthen the immune system and promote glowing skin.
Also read- Homemade herbal oil for healthy hair
How to select the best quality essential oil
- Check the quality: Check the label to ensure that the oil is extracted by distillation or mechanical cold press.
- Check Purity: It must be chemical-free. Ensure that oil contains no synthetic oils or additives. Go for an organic brand and always check labels.