Lemons are delightful outside and wonderful inside. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants. And, no could ever resist sipping the refreshing lemon drink. However, did you know lemons have tons of beauty benefits?
Here are the 4 ways to harness the beauty uses of lemon for your skin and hair.
1. Lemon water bath
There are numerous benefits of lemon water for the skin. Simply adding lemon juice to your bathing water can prevent several skin issues. The antibacterial properties of lemon effectively combat body odor. It also helps to treat and prevent fungal and bacterial skin infections, prevalent during monsoons.
This is a very easy and effective way to achieve clear and glowing skin. Simply squeeze out a lemon in a bucket full of water. Furthermore, taking lemon water baths daily also reduces the chances of acne breakouts.
2. Lemon face pack
Lemons are rich in Vitamin C, a natural brightening agent. Thus, you can add lemon to your face packs to reduce and prevent dark spots, acne scars, and blemishes. Adding a few drops of lemon juice to your face pack can give you clear and bright skin. Lemon can irritate your skin, so use it in a highly diluted form. Here are some lemon face packs you can try-
- Add a few drops of Lemon juice to gram flour, add a sufficient amount of rose water to make a paste.
- Mix honey with few drops of lemon juice to prepare a honey -lemon face pack.
- Make a smooth paste by mixing fuller’s earth with few drops of lemon juice and rose water.
If you are allergic to pollens, honey might cause redness and inflammtion, always do a patch test before hand.
3. Lemon for Hair
Is lemon good for hair? Yes, it is.
Lemon juice can solve your hair problems from roots to tips. Lemon juice is effective against dandruff, frizziness, itchy scalp, etc. You can rinse your hair with diluted lemon water or add lemon juice in your hair mask.
Here are a few ways you can use lemon juice for hair-
- Dandruff treatment- Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to 2 tablespoon coconut oil and massage your scalp. Let it sit for 20-30 mins and wash it out with mild shampoo.
- Moisturizing hair mask- Mix one egg and one tablespoon olive oil with half lemon juice. Apply it on the hair as well as the scalp. Rinse it off with mild shampoo after 20-30 mins.
- Itchy scalp- Simply add a few drops of lemon juice to your shampoo, massage it thoroughly for 5 mins before washing it off.
- For shinier hair and healthy scalp- Squeeze a lemon in around 3-4 cup water in a jug. After washing your hair with shampoo and conditioner, rinse off your hair with this lemon water.
Besides, anecdotal evidence suggests that lemon juice has a bleaching affect and can visibly lighten hair color. Therefore, one must not use excessive lemon for hair.
Also read- Homemade herbal oil for healthy hair
4. Drink lemon water
Lemon has numerous health benefits along with beauty uses. Besides, it is also known to aid weight loss. The antioxidant-rich lemon juice promotes skin to repair itself. Additionally, it is also known to improve digestion and acts as a body detoxifier. A healthy body is key to achieve flawless skin and healthy hair. Thus, make it a habit to consume lemon water first thing in the morning and notice the visible positive effects on your entire body.
Preparation of lemon water- Squeeze out half a lemon in a glass of lukewarm water and add a tablespoon of honey to it.
- Lemon juice is acidic, it can irritate your skin and may cause dryness or redness. If you have sensitive skin, do a patch test first.
- Do not go out in direct sunlight after applying lemon, it may cause an inflammatory reaction and sunburn.
- Consuming excessive amounts of lemon juice can lead to dental erosion and may provoke acid reflux. Thus, everything should be done in moderation.
So, these were the beauty uses of lemon. Hope you find it helpful.