Pearls are said to be nature’ miracle. Herein, I have described everything you need to know about pearls. It will answer all your queries on different types of pearls, identifying genuine pearls and how to store pearl jewellery. So, let’s begin with your pearl buying guide.
Pearls, unlike other gemstones, are a mineral produced from living creatures called molluscs. More specifically, pearls are produced when some foreign particles such as sand enter the shelled mollusc and rare instances in snails.
Hyderabad is also known as the pearl city of India. A village in Hyderabad known as Chandanpet has been the hub for pearl processing and trading for generations.
So, here is your pearl buying guide- everything you should know before shopping for pearls.
Different types of pearls
Here are the different kinds of pearls, that you will commonly come across-
Real pearls: These are the naturally occurring variety of pearl and are highly expensive. Real pearls are formed in saltwater without any human interventions. They are naturally beautiful and do not require any kind of polishing, waxing etc.
Cultured pearls: They are basically genuine pearls produced the same way as real pearls but with human assistance. These pearls are grown in pearl farms with the help of freshwater mussels. These kinds of pearls are easily available in most jewellery stores and can easily fit your budget.
Duplicate pearls: These are not actually pearls, but plastic or glass coated with varnish for the pearl-like radiance. Most of the synthetic pearls are low in quality and their shine disappears within weeks. These pearls are really cheap and you can find them in street-side stalls.
Cultured pearls vs. Natural pearls- Experts have acknowledged both real and cultured pearls as genuine pearls.
How to identify real pearls?
Planning to Buy a pearl necklace? Here are few tips for identifying genuine pearl-
- Touch test: Genuine pearls are found in the depth of water, thus they are naturally cold to touch. While fake pearls do not possess that coolness.
- Weight test: Fake pearls are very light, whereas real pearls are heavier.
- Shape test: A real pearl is never perfectly symmetrical in shape. Furthermore, each pearl is unique, thus, no two pearls look the same.
- Smoothness test: The surface of a real pearl is never smooth but rather gritty. A fake pearl will have a super smooth surface just like plastic.
How to care for your pearls?
- Chemicals in the cosmetics can damage your pearls. Therefore, stick to the rule that says that pearls should be the last thing to put on and the first thing to take off.
- After every use, wipe the pearls with a soft damp cloth. Additionally, make sure the pearls are dry before you store them.
- Store the pearls in a soft cloth pouch. Pearls need moisture, therefore never store them in airtight containers or plastic bags.
So, this was all about pearl buying guide. I know buying good quality pealrs is a difficult task. Hope this information is helpful. Happy shopping!!!
If there is any query, do comment below……….